Sunday 6 May 2007

Sunday May 6th
75 Days to go!


I am a massive fan of the Harry Potter, and the films. The films are very good in their own way, but I eagerly anticipating the book. It is the last book in the series – Harry potter and the Deathly Hallows – and will be released on Saturday 21st July 2007. To refresh my memory, I will be writing a brief opinion of the each chapter of the Harry Potter books, with my favourite quote from the chapter and also a question from the corresponding chapter too every day. I am listening to my audiotapes of the book (1 tape a day).

I found Harry Potter quite late. The series began in 1997, with Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone). However, I was not really into fantasy books – much preferred Murder Mysteries! So I have heard how good they were, but considered them “Children’s books” and did not bother to borrow them from the local library

However! Fast-forward to Boxing Day 1999. I had heard that there was going to be a complete and unabridged recording of the first Harry Potter book, read by Stephen Fry on Radio 4. Boxing Day, for me, is a lazy day so decided to finally find out what all the fuss was about and listen to it. I think I was hooked from the first couple of lines. I was absolutely intrigued. What on earth were Muggles? Why was a little baby left on a doorstep?

In 2001, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone) was released on film.

The books have different titles for England (where I am!) and American. We (the English!) know it as Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. The American people know it as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Subtle changes to the text of the books have been made to reflect this. So with no more ado let us start form the beginning…


Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone) by J. K. Rowling
Chapter One: The Boy Who Lived


This is the chapter that really hooked me into the Potter fandom!

“He couldn't know that at this very moment, people meeting in secret all over the country were holding up their glasses and saying in hushed voices: "To Harry Potter -- the boy who lived!”


From whom did Hagrid borrow the motorcycle? Sirius Black

Chapter Two – The Vanishing Glass


I loved the way Dudley was portrayed - how spoilt he was, and how his parents spoilt him rotten. Harry however was treated really badly. The boa constrictor episode was excellent

“Aunt Petunia often said that Dudley looked like a baby angel – Harry often said that Dudley looked like a pig in a wig.”


Which country does the boa constrictor at the zoo tell Harry he wants to go to? Brazil

Chapter Three: The Letters From No One


This is a extremely exciting chapter, especially the final sentences, with the knocking at the door. The funniest line in the chapter was "No Post on Sundays!!". The way the letters were delivered was great too.

“Yesterday he’d have given anything to be up here. Today he’d rather be back in his cupboard with that letter than up here without it.”

Which local comprehensive school was Harry due to go to? Stonewall High

No comments: